Beyond the #5FOR5 of the #EndSARS is the yearning by the Nigerian youths for all things good for the people of Nigeria. The #5FOR5 remains the fundamental request by the Nigerian youths to have been on the roads and streets across Nigeria for 13 days. They vowed not to leave the roads and streets till the Nigerian government score 100% in addressing their demands. Days ahead would determine if the #ENDSARS demands would stop at #5FOR5.
Our Five (5) Demands – #5FOR5 of #ENDSARS
- Immediate arrest of all the arrested protesters.
- Justice for all deceased victims of police brutality and appropriate compensation for their families.
- Setting up an independent body to oversee the investigation and prosecution of all reports of police misconduct (within 10days).
- In line with the new Police Act, psychological evaluation and retraining (to be confirmed by an independent body) of all disbanded SARS officers before they can be redeployed.
- Increase police salary so that they are adequately compensated for protecting lives and property for citizens.
Beyond the #5FOR5 is the interdenominational “prayer walk “across the country. Youths on the streets prayed for everything good for Nigeria. One placard sums it, “Oh Lord, Heal Nigeria.”
For the past 13 days, it has been a peaceful protest and all the protesters bear the Nigerian flag calling for: an end to police brutality and insecurity, justice, unity, peace, good governance, youth employment, and empowerment (as many displayed their talents and skills on the streets of protest), effective police reform and many more. As the day progresses the population of protesters increases with professional bodies and market women joining on Monday 19 October 2020.
Beyond the demands for #EndSARS protest are what Nigerians had been praying and waiting for: Hope for a better Nigeria, a new Nigeria. End SARS signifies everything good for Nigerians.