Following the disbandment of SARS by the Inspector General of Police, the #EndSARS group in New York said “Audio Ban of SARS” won’t be accepted by the people of Nigeria.
They gathered in front of Nigeria House in New York to pass the message after the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu announced the disbandment of SARS in Nigeria on Sunday.
“We are not buying that because they told us in 2017 that SARS had been banned from a lot of things, but they continued,” some of the protesters said.
Omobolanle Adams who was among those that spoke for the group said, “We don’t want back-door politics, we don’t want back-door negotiations.
“We want President Muhammadu Buhari to speak directly to us. We want justice for people that were murdered, raped and assaulted.
“We want the SARS operatives responsible brought to book and at the end of the day, we don’t want them redeployed to other units. We want them gone,” she said.
Some of the protesters took time to speak to New Agency of Nigeria on their personal experiences or those of their family members in the hands of SARS.
Papi Ojo who also spoke for the protesters said the youths had return hopes for Nigerians. Noting that he relocated to the U.S. at the age of 11 and was afraid to visit home because he had lost two uncles to SARS. The 23-year-old said the unity and courage displayed by Nigerians in the protest had given him the strength to return and make a change.
“As I speak, I am still afraid, but I can’t keep living in fear any more because I have relations back home calling me to help.
“So, I am begging everyone here that is afraid like me to stand up and help in whatever way we can to effect the desired change back home,” Ojo said.